People who avoid consuming gluten—due to an allergy, celiac disease, or other preferences—may find it challenging to access gluten-free meals in restaurants or find proper gluten free meal delivery services.
While delivery services used to offer only 1 or 2 gluten-free meals weekly, since the outbreak of Covid-19, meal delivery services in Canada and the world have made rapid adjustments to their meal kits. Subsequently, gluten-free customers now have access to a wider range of gluten free meal delivery services and recipes.
Read on to learn why you may need a gluten-free diet, how meal delivery services work, and what to look out for when choosing a gluten free meal delivery service. We also offer recommendations and provide answers to some frequently asked questions on gluten free meal delivery services in Canada.
Why live gluten-free?
A gluten-free diet eliminates meals containing gluten—a protein found in wheat, grains, barley malt, rye, and other foods. There are a few reasons you may need to follow a gluten-free diet. While for some individuals, it is a choice, others adhere to a strict non-gluten lifestyle for medical reasons.
A gluten-free diet plan is medically recommended to manage symptoms of Celiac disease, Gluten ataxia, Wheat allergy, and other non-celiac diseases.
Some known benefits of adhering to a strict gluten-free diet include weight loss, reduced chronic inflammation, increased energy, and reduction in digestive symptoms.
How meal delivery services work
Meal delivery services provide a way for people with busy schedules or who lack cooking skills to get freshly made meals or recipes delivered to their doorstep.
Food delivery companies offer a variety of meal subscription plans using weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly subscriptions. These subscription plans are sometimes flexible with options to pause or opt out without penalties. Varying menus that meet different dietary preferences are also available to choose from.
There’s a slight difference in how each meal service works, but they mostly share a standard process. You can either order à la carte or choose from a menu based on the meal plan you are subscribed to.
Depending on your preference, you can order a meal kit that contains a recipe and the ingredients required to prepare it. Also, options are available to order a meal box that contains freshly made meals that you can eat instantly.
What to look for when choosing a gluten free meal delivery service
Whether you follow a gluten-free diet to manage a medical condition or voluntarily, a gluten free meal delivery service can come in handy. You can have your gluten-free meal kit or ready-made meal delivered to your doorstep.
However, it can be challenging to tell if a meal is 100% gluten-free because most meal delivery services prepare both gluten-free and non-gluten-free meals, often resulting in contamination.
We have put together a list of factors to consider when searching for the best gluten free meal delivery services:
- Menu type: when choosing a food delivery service, one of the critical factors to consider is the variety of meals available on the menu. Most delivery services offer very few gluten-free meals weekly, which is not so great for your diet plan. A question to consider can be “does the gluten-free menu cover breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, and snacks?”
- Pricing: compare the prices of meals between available options, so you can pick a gluten free meal delivery service that suits your budget. Depending on your preference and number of meals, prices for some delivery services may range from $5 per meal to $100.
- Gluten-free certification status: the gluten-free certification serves as proof that gluten-free meals delivered by a delivery service meet set standards. Some companies operate gluten-free meal facilities, while others only run a gluten free meal delivery service, it’s safer to purchase your meal from a gluten-free certified brand.
- Flexible subscription plans: subscriptions can be a burden for customers. Some questions to ask in your decision-making processes include “can I pause my subscription without attracting any penalty?”, “what kind of subscription plans do they have available?”, “can I cancel my subscriptions at any time?” etc.
OUR TOP PICK: HelloFresh Gluten-free recipes
HelloFresh is a leading meal delivery service with a large client base in Canada and worldwide. They deliver to areas like Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, etc.
This meal delivery company offers diverse meal plan options suitable for families, vegetarians, picky eaters, and couples. There is a taste preference selection option where you can choose a gluten-free recipe 4 weeks before your order.
Pricing: Starts from $9.69/serving.
- Environment-friendly packaging
- Easy to follow recipes
- Customizable meal kit
Some popular recipes include orange glazed duck with crushed potato, green beans and roasted tomato, and red Thai prawn curry with carrots.
You get $150 and free delivery on your first order when you sign up.
Chefs Plate gluten-free meals
Chefs Plate offers a wide variety of recipes suitable for families, vegetarians, and novice cooks at a budget-friendly price. They are available in Canada in areas like Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
Pricing: $8.99/serving and $45.96 weekly.
- Diverse dietary menus
- Easy to follow descriptions and chefs notes
- 15-minute meals suitable for people with hectic work weeks
- Gluten-free and dairy-free options
Chefs Plate offers a new user discount coupon code for 10 free meals in the first 4 boxes.
Gluten free meal delivery services: our final thoughts
Food delivery companies provide a solution for people with busy schedules and novice cooks that want to eat healthily or stick to a strict dietary plan. The meal delivery industry has experienced rapid growth, with many measures being implemented to ensure inclusive service delivery for all.
Gluten free meal delivery services make it easier to receive all your dietary needs right to your door. However, it’s still vital that you check ingredients and descriptions before making your purchase to prevent complications from consuming a non-gluten-free meal.
Gluten free meal delivery services: FAQ
What meal services offer gluten free meal delivery options?
the following meal delivery companies offer gluten free meal delivery options:
- Chefs Plate
- MealFix Canada
- Essential Meal Delivery
Does HelloFresh have gluten-free meals?
Yes. HelloFresh offers a weekly special option for customers to choose a gluten-free recipe that meets their dietary preferences using the “taste preference” option.
Does Chefs Plate offer gluten-free meals?
Yes. Chefs Plate offers gluten-free meal kits for customers to pick from in their weekly meal menu. They don’t run a gluten-free facility, but all items are packaged separately, so contamination is limited and unlikely.
Read more on where to find gluten free meal delivery services in Canada:
- GoodFood vs HelloFresh vs Chefs Plate
- HelloFresh Review
- Chefs Plate Review
- Fresh City Review
- Essential Review
- Healthy Meal Delivery in Canada
- Keto Delivery Services in Canada
- Meal Delivery Toronto Options
- Meal Delivery Winnipeg Options
- Meal Delivery Edmonton Options
- Meal Delivery Calgary Options
Do you have comments, questions or inquiries? Are you interested in sharing your experience with us? Kindly do so by visiting our contact page.